Sunday, April 15, 2012

Vintage Wood Shutters - Rustic, Cottage Chic

Thanks for stopping by!!!



I bought this adorable pair of vintage wood shutters from Angie at  Knick of Time on Etsy.


As Angie would say 'Do something stunning with it'

I mixed 2 different paint colours Sterling and Silver Expressions from Plascon. I added some calsium carbonate in the mix for a chalky effect. Calsium carbonate is much easier to work with than plaster of paris - it leaves no grainy residue like the latter!!!

I almost dry brushed the paint on; I wanted to take most of the paint off to show the Yummy chocolate brown shade of the wood underneath...who does not love chocolate!!!


After the paint had dried, I started the shabby chic, cottage look by sanding away the paint in places. I attached the pretty bow appliques with Amos craft glue. Once the glue had set, I painted the bows in the same colour.


I highlighted the wood parts and the bows by rubbing on some Dala antique rub in Umber. Then I rubbed some beeswax all over and buffed it with a mutton cloth for a soft sheen!

I am linking up to the Vintage Style Link Party at Knick of Time!!!

This is the view when the shutters are closed!


e-voke...to create a -new!




5 comments:

  1. I love how they turned, out Sumaya!! Are you going to do the other set to match or do them a different color for a different room?

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made it look stunning Sumaya!

    - Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with the shutters, adorable table scape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice articles always attract the viewers. And your article is very attractive and informative. Keep it up and do post regularly please…
    Custom Faux Wood Shutters

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips